When I started Arduino, it seemed to me that the whole world does that does the same. In fact, it turned out that, like me, many just hard to start, “enter” into the theme itself. So I decided to write a quick guide to ensure that you could get some components and try this toy. Probably, after reading, you even will largely understand what was happening without my future posts. So.
If you’ve tried the Arduino only because I can’t start without knowing what I’m about to save you.
Arduino is simple as Lego. But when he starts to explain, then it POPs up a bunch of buzzwords: IDE, iron, stone, firmware, library, driver, sketch, executable components, programming skills, hardware and software part of Arduino-compatible platform… Yes there who want to go mad, so it is necessary to complicate a simple set of toys for the kids! =)
Actually it’s simple: we’ve got myself an Arduino is the brains of our future toys that we collect.
We have two ready Schild to choose from. Why? We now “plug” Arduino one Childe, let’s see how it works, then reprogram and put to another — and again, make sure that works. So we immediately becomes clear and we can move on — good areas of development with Arduino — a lot.
First shilda — super-interesting. We’ll do radio about which I will tell a lot, but not now. The set is good because it contains many components and you can build the ultimate functionality of the device. But all this later. Arduino in this set already, so it is not necessary to buy it separately. Second Schild — super-beautiful. It is cozy and intricately we light our world. About it, I also expect a lot of things to tell, but later. You can choose any other Schild, but I liked these because — looking ahead — they have a great future 😉
Plan of action now is this: plug-in and reprogram our Arduino to see how it works and make sure it is simple. To understand what was happening then we will.
Step 1: Gather the first Childe
Take this set. Collect the radio for instructions. It’s just how to assemble a toy from a kinder surprise. Only much more exciting!
What we just did? We “pinned” components in the finished Childe, “stuck” in her own Arduino with pre-loaded sketch for all these components. All we have are ready device. And it works! =)
Step 2: install the IDE
All, with the first childas we saw how it is all going and running. Now — most importantly: turn off the POWER. Get Arduino and take the following childu.
Our new Schild, according to the inscriptions on it, called MP 1051. Arduino have no eyes, so she doesn’t know this Childe and can’t work with it yet. Now we will fix it.
In order to Arduina knew where this Silde that, and what is there at all, we need this library. And to all this she began to manipulate, we need some of those sketches will start with the first: it does not need a remote.
For the record:
If Arduino is the head, the brain, the:
Library is files .h and .cc is hands and feet. That is something you can walk, run, dance, Shine. The library gives Arduino an idea of what it (Arduino) “stuck” and how she is now able to Shine-to move.
The sketch is files .ino, and, indeed, the dance, the walk, the sequence of flashing or brightness — in short, the sketch is responsible for the fact that Arduino with their “arms and legs” does.
Download the Arduino library and sketch using the IDE program. If the designer of the Arduino like LEGO, the IDE program similar to iTunes in order to download music to your phone, you need a special program? Millions of people cope with this task, and we can handle with the IDE.
1. Download IDE here.
2. Install the IDE as a normal program.
Learn more: for Windows
3. Connect the USB Arduino
4. Start the IDE (with the rights of a super user, if it’s about something says. If not, then hammer on those rights. If Yes, try version 1.0.1 — all over on Linux works).
5. Select the type of Arduino. (Get out, most likely, automatically. But in the hands of a set of Arduino Nano 3.0, and the square at the top it says CPU Amtel Mega 328p — do you mean from menu, select Nano ATmega328).
6. Check that the computer sees Arduino: is it the port through which we are connected.
Are you all ready? Now let’s deal with what to load and how, and 5 minutes light bulbs (diodes!) on our new Silde will be fun to illuminate our house.
If the port is not found, disconnect and close the program. Connect the Arduino again, to the new port, open the program. This is similar to the mobile app in your phone if it freezes, you restart and it works again. Here the same principle of troubleshooting. =)
Step 3: Use the sketch and library by appointment
Here begins the magic! =) But, for some reason, it is to this important moment of explanation was the most boring:
In order to program the microcontroller, we have three types of files: .h .cc .ino Files are compiled, libraries slutsa treatment. All this is written in the C language which operates with functions, variables, and then below written in C the program became clear to the microcontroller, it is translated to native code — compiled and then loaded into the controller… you can not imagine how right now we do not care for it =) it’s much easier.
Download library for our new Schild MP1051
- Unzip it — you will get a folder MP1051
- Go to where you have your Arduino IDE folder with her.
In my case it was the Downloads folder where I downloaded the program, there it is I have, and start from there — nothing complicated.
- Copy the resulting folder MP1051 in libraries folder
- Download a set of sketches\drivers for our new Schild MP1051
- Take the resulting folder examples and put in MP1051, which is already in libraries. Or in the folder examples, all in the same directory the Arduino program but then it will have to be renamed into something.
All! Let’s join the Library + the Sketch, compile them to machine code and download it to the controller. It’s fast.
- Connect the Arduino via USB
- Open IDE
- Select Sketch — Import library — MP1051 (it will appear in the drop-down menu among other libraries)
- Go to: File — Examples — MP1051 — Step_1
- Hit: A Tick (= Check)
Happens: Compiling Compiling is executed
- Press: right Arrow (= Load the sketch in Arduino)
Happens: Download done
- Disconnect the Arduino from USB
- Put him on the Board (Important! Connector for mini USB looks outside!)
- Connect it back to USB (this time the USB will supply power)
- Before transplanting\Arduino landing on childu\s Schild always poweroff device
- Before you upload the sketch, unplug Arduino from Schild
As you can see, we never even opened a single sketch, and if discovered, he will be. That’s the beauty of libraries and sketches that are already written under certain Schild and components for Arduino.
Back to the future
Now, if you’ll return the Arduino Board into place on childu radio (Important! Power off the card before you can change to Childe!), radio more “won’t work”. Want to return all as was? You already know how to do it!
Please note we need folders, libraries and examples. As well as the fact that the name of folders and files should be written in the Latin alphabet in one word. You can use numbers and underscore. So, return everything as it was:
Open all of the appropriate libraries (see Fig.) + copy here the sketch. Compile. Download. Ready! You can put the Arduino back in Childe radio and again (radio) to turn on.
So quickly we figured out:
1. How to reprogram the Arduino at different Schild with ready-made sketches and libraries.
2. Why do we sketch why we need the library. Where to put.
3. How to work with the program the Arduino IDE to upload the sketch with the library.
As you can see, it’s simple. It took me a few days to “arrive” on their own. Hopefully, someone I will save these for a few days. Good luck with Arduino DIY and until next time: I plan a lot more than to understand on the basis of my existing modules and components and will share ideas and skills.